Saturday, July 31, 2010

First Birthday party - Taylor- Oh the Places You'll Go

Oh The Places You'll Go!

Decorations:
  • I got the Cake- of course
  • I'm going to use various solid color tablecloths
  • I've ordered a few poster-sized pictures from the book.
  • A sign post with arrows pointing in various directions- with different life stages printed on each (i.e. going to Kindergarten, high school, college, get a job, etc)
  • I found a picture of centerpieces for a wedding that are hot air balloons-- I would love to do something similar to this, but I'm having trouble figuring out how they made the weaving that goes over the balloons to hold them in place (look below):
  •  I've also got pencils, mini storybooks, and bookmarks that will be spread around and given out as party favors
  • bright colored streamers and possibly balloons- it is in an outdoor picnic shelter, so I'm not yet sure about the balloons

Here's a few activities I'm thinking of:
  • Give each child a "passport" made from several rectangles of paper stapled together as a booklet. The kids can write their names and draw self-portraits on the first pages, then collect stickers or stamps at each party station they visit. 
  •  I'd like to have two different craft tables with themes from the book- 1) Taking Flight: kids will make and decorate cut outs of paper air planes and hot air balloons (that they can take with them) and 2) Oh the Place's Taylor will Go! where each child (and adults if they want to) will be asked to pick a place they think Taylor should go and color a picture of it or write about it- At the end I will put them all into a book I have made for Taylor to keep.  I will have the Oh The Place's You'll Go! pencils at each of these craft tables for people to keep after they do each activity.
  • Oh, and of course- this will be a family cookout with Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, fixins and CAKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment